Sunday, May 8, 2011

Busy Weekend!

Friday night was Calvin's "night on the town". :) He had a school disco and Tanya took Amelia and him to the school while I kept the 4 girls (siblings weren't allowed). It was from 5-6pm and he had a blast. I wanted to be there to take pictures but I'm sure he'll be glad I didn't. :) Afterwards, I had my "night on the town" for Tanya's birthday. We headed to Wellington for a fun girls night out. We even made it to the infamous Boogie Wonderland. There's no wonder that many a folk need not have been there a boogie-ing. :)



Saturday was just as busy with soccer and our library runs. Mary Katherine had her turn at a "night out" with a birthday party from 6-8pm. It was at the Huia pool in Lower Hutt and good fun. She swam the entire time, breaking a few minutes for some chips and cake.



Sunday was fab with Ben letting me sleep in and fixing me breakfast. They brought me sweet homemade cards and a gift to unwrap in bed. It was so cute hearing them write and draw the cards in the kitchen while I was "sleeping in". :) They worked real hard! Ben and the children gave me a beautiful scarf/shawl and I look forward to wearing it soon!

After my delicious omelet (which seemed like a great idea at the time but not so great afterwards...), I took a walk, I mean HIKE, with my friend & neighbor, Anna, up the hills behind our house. This is when I really regretted eating that fat omelet and side of bacon. (I even alerted Anna, at one point during our steep walk up, to keep on going if she heard wretching from behind.) Thankfully, I kept all breakfast foods down and made it to the top and back down in one piece. Man, I am out of shape! The trails around these parts are basically at a 90 degree incline. Ok, maybe not technically 90 degrees but pretty darn close to it. It's absolutely beautiful and the views are stunning but you totally work off any calorie you had in your body on the trip up the "hills".

View from just up the hill from our house.

Even in the midst of gasping for air, I managed to get a few good shots of the bush.


YES! We made it to the ridge, followed the trail around to the Kaitawa trail and made a big loop around. Anna amazed me by engaging in conversation the whole time! You rock, girl! I tried to keep up my end but going up the trail in the beginning was a struggle. Thank you for a great, refreshing morning with wonderful stimulating conversations!

We hiked among the bush and through the muck and the mud. The kids would've loved it!

Making our descent down!

Home Sweet Home...York Bay

The view down the side of the track...yes, that is straight down.

The trail as it is on most of the track, narrow and narrower...keeps ya on your toes!

That cute little blur is a fantail bird. It flew around us a few times and wouldn't sit still long enough for me to take a good picture. They are fast little creatures.

It was so great to get out and do the walk today with Anna. I wasn't sure we'd make it since it rained a few times that morning but I'm so glad we did. How amazing to be in the bush within minutes of our front door, exploring God's nature and beauty around us. Simply amazing. I'll miss having these resources at our fingertips.



After a fab afternoon nap, the 5 of us tramped on down to "our" beach. Good times!









Oh, yeah, look at that swing! :)




What a wonderful weekend full of blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment