Friday, November 5, 2010

Family Visit!

Mom and dad's trip is finally here! We've been waiting so long to see them and are so excited to be able to spend 2 weeks with them. Good food, good times and family...what a blessing! Here's our happenings for the first several days.

The girls and I took Calvin to school and finished up tidying before we left for the airport. We had walked out the door when I heard the phone ring. I ran inside, thankfully, to get the phone and it was dad calling to let me know they had missed their flight from Auckland. One of their bags didn't make it and they missed the connector. Luckily they got on the next flight and were only delayed an hour.

Caroline, Mary Katherine and I drove on over to the airport, grabbed a snack and waited til their plan arrived. We were able to walk all the way to the gate and wait for mom and dad. We just kept walking and walking...I figured if we weren't supposed to be there, they'd let us know. Then I saw they have security screens at each terminal you go through prior to boarding the plane. Reminded me of how the airports used to be before all the security issues.

They were the last ones off the plane. We were so happy to see them and they looked great for travelling so long. We looked like death warmed over when we arrived to Wellington. Guess that's what travelling 30+ hours with 3 kids will do to ya. :)

Baggage claim...all but one bag made it and it arrived the next day. Good stuff!

Sissy sent a box of goodies for the kids with cool bracelets and pictures, as well as Calvin's sun hat. Thank you sissy!!




Ahhh...enjoying a nice rest after 34+ hours of travelling.

Grandma and grandpa brought lots of treats and goodies for the kids. It was like Christmas!

On the way down to the beach.


Mom was so excited to see all the mussels. She's ready to steam some at home. Wednesday night mom and dad took the kids down to the beach after dinner and met a family (originally from Samoa) that travel about 30 minutes to "our" beach. They come every night to have a fresh dinner of mussels. It's amazing they come all that way, every night to feast on the bounty of the sea.


Calvin found this tiny crab with one claw. Guess he lost his last fight! :)

MaeMae trying out her new gum boots.

First family photo in NZ!


Daddy and Caroline enjoying some quality time together.

Calvin loves to climb these tall rocks by the beach, nearly giving me a heart attack each time.

Beautiful sunset to end a perfectly blessed day of safe travels and arrival for mom and dad, a great kiwi dinner (I fixed lamb chops and homemade mashed potatoes) and family time.

On Wednesday, grandpa was able to help MaeMae with her gymnastics class. They do 3 circuits and need a parent to help with each circuit. She is enjoying gymnastics and I look forward to her learning more on her own. She's very flexible and is always moving, jumping or shaking around.

At the end of each session, the kids receive a special stamp. After this session, the adults received the stamps for being great helpers these last few weeks.

Fun with grandpa! Thank you for helping me! Love MaeMae

Mary Katherine in her new brimmed sun hat. I love this straw hat on her...too cute!

Calvin has really enjoyed having Grandpa take him and pick him up from school. He's been so proud to show him his room, playground and to have him meet his mates.

Thank you sissy for the awesome new sun hat! It's a must at school for the kids to have these brimmed hats. The sun is so strong and they really make sure the kids are protected. I even put sunscreen on him before he heads off to school.

The girls have enjoyed some good hot breakfasts that grandma and grandpa have fixed for them. Better than the cold cereal or toast mom whips up every morning. :) Caroline has been introduced to the stools and has loved sitting like a big girl on them.

Thursday the girls and I took mom and dad to Te Papa museum where we had lunch at the cafe then walked around a bit. We had to make a quick trip of it because we wanted to stop by the Korean grocery store before we had to leave Wellington to take MaeMae to school.

Friday morning Calvin, grandpa and I walked up the hill from our house and found a gorgeous view of the harbor. Unfortunately, all 3 kids woke up sick and we've spent the day mostly at home.


Calvin found a beautiful wild Calla lily to give to grandma.

After heading up the hill, dad and I dropped Calvin off with grandma and headed down the hill to the East Harbour park trail. We made it to the 1st of 4 bridges and then headed back home. We'll go for 2 bridges next time. :)

East Harbour Regional Park is a contrast of native forest and rocky coastline, providing a magnificent backdrop to Wellington Harbour. Greater Wellington manages the park which includes land owned by Hutt City Council, Greater Wellington Regional Council, Taranaki Whanui and the Crown.

There are two distinct areas. To the north, the hills between Eastbourne and Wainuiomata are clothed in some of the best beech/rata forest in the Wellington area. In contrast, the damp valley floors contain lush semi-swamp forest including kahikatea, pukatea and nikau palms.

To the south, the Parangarahu Lakes Area provides sweeping views and diverse geological features. It cradles the nationally significant freshwater wetlands of Kohangatera and Kohangapiripiri and is home to a wealth of native plants and wildlife.


It is awesome to have mom and dad here to visit us in our new home. I can't believe it's been 3 1/2 months since we've seen them and it will be at least 8 months til we see them again. We'll definitely "make hay while the sun is shining" and do everything we can fit in and create as many memories as possible these 2 weeks.

I can't imagine what it was like for my mom who went to a new country, not knowing a soul (except for my dad) and not even knowing the language and on top of that, 9 months pregnant. It's been a challenge here but I know we will be going home soon. My mom left her home country not knowing when or if she'd ever go back home. She is such an amazing woman for creating the life that she did and my dad is amazing for doing all he could to make her so comfortable, at home and safe. I pray I can become half the parent that they were to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment