You can do it!
It was a hot, day in May my senior year in high school at Calhoun Academy. The track meet was held at Orangeburg Prep, our rival school. I remember being at the starting line, ready to run the big 400-meter race. I'd never run in a 400-meter race before but I thought, one lap around the track, I got this, piece of cake!
The gun goes off and there goes Sherry tearin' around turn 1 ahead in the heat. Turn 2 - Sherry's still in the lead...at this point, I'm thinking to myself that I'm about to win this race! Turn 3 - Sherry starts to slow down a little and get a little behind...no worries, I still had the last leg to make my comeback. Turn 4 - I was dead last, my legs were starting to feel like lead and I wasn't sure if I'd cross the finish line. The last leg - holy moly! all I could remember was thinking to myself " please don't fall, please don't fall" because at this point my legs were so heavy I could hardly pick them up to run and I was so out of breath I thought I might collapse due to lack of oxygen.
Thankfully, I did finish the race without the use of a stretcher and dead last, I might add, but I learned some good lessons that day.
1. Train before you attempt to run a race, especially when in front of spectators and fellow peers.
2. A 400 meter race is HARD! Don't let the "one leg around" fool you.
3. Pace yourself! Slow and steady wins the race! Well, at least don't start off sprinting...you gotta save some juice for the final leg. :)
(side note: I did run this race again that season but after some training and learning the proper technique.)
This was what my running "career" has consisted of...track in high school. Until now...I've decided to run a marathon! Never in a million years did I think those words would ever come out of my mouth but I have somehow become inspired here to go for it. I have a friend, Trish (we met through our son's at school), who mentioned to me last week that she's starting to train for a marathon. I'm not sure why but that comment really intrigued me and I've been thinking alot about it since then. I've decided to commit to it and give it a whirl. You never know, I may do a triathlon next! :) Just kidding! Anyway, I'm excited because I'll be able to run with some cool moms and meet some great new people. And they are like me, novice runners who just want to complete the race. I'm definitely not in it to win it. They do have more running under their belt so I've got a long journey ahead of me but with over 6 1/2 months to train, I think I can do it. My facebook friends have given great advice on how to get started, what type of shoe to use, etc...
I've decided my very 1st step will be to run for the first time in YEARS! :) My 2nd step, survive step one then repeat over and over and over again...
Wilma Rudolph, the 1st American woman runner to win 3 gold medals in a single Olympics (from 1940-1994) said it best. "Believe me, the reward is not so great without the struggle."
This truly will be a struggle, a learning experience and a true test of my commitment and dedication.
The race will be in April 2011, in beautiful Rotorua with the race circling Lake Rotorua. Should be exciting! Let the training begin! :)
Happy Trails!
No comments:
Post a Comment