Monday, August 23, 2010

Backpacks, school & things we like to do while we're out...

Ben was on call over the weekend so I decided to take the kids into town on the bus. We went on a mission for new backpacks. I think I've figured out the bus system and feel more confident going a little further into town. So, we took the bus on into Petone onto Jackson Street (where I wanted to go before but ended up at the mall...got the right bus this time...eureka! :) and walked on to the Briscoes (equivalent to our Bed, Bath and Beyond).

There wasn't a huge selection but we did get lucky and found a great backpack each for Calvin and Mary Katherine. And even better, because it's the end of the school year here, they were 50% off! I love a deal! :) MaeMae chose a Barbie princess one and Calvin started off wanting a Bob the Builder backpack. I had to talk with him about getting a "big boy" backpack so I asked him if the other kids at Muratai had Bob the Builder type backpacks or more neutral ones. It was sort of sad trying to steer him away from the preschoolish bag but I didn't want him to get to 1st grade and be the only one with a backpack like that. We looked around for different ones and found a cool backpack with lots of pockets and buckles (like dad's) so he was good with that.


Speaking of school...the whole school thing has happened so quickly I haven't had a chance to soak in the idea of Calvin starting first grade. We came here without any solid ideas of what we wanted to do as far as school goes and I figured they'd do a preschool or something of the sort. It was hard because we didn't know the school system or where we were going to live. But, at the kindie I visited in Eastbourne village (and the one they attend) I learned that all the kids go to "big" school after they turn 5. Still not really knowing what to expect, I visited the school office and got his school visits set up (they do 6 visits for 2 hours, 6 weeks out from their 5th birthday. this gets them acquainted with the school and their new surroundings which is a wonderful idea.)

At his first visit last week, I was amazed at all they do in this year 1 (aka 1st grade) and, to be honest, that's when I started to realize he's really starting school. Some of the kids were reading, adding and subtracting, and they do english, sing songs and many other things. The teachers are so kind and patient and have great control of the room and know what they are doing. So, on that front I feel comforted knowing he'll be in good hands at "big boy" school but still trying to grasp the idea of having a first grader when I haven't prepared for it yet. You know, as mothers, we need that time to adjust and prepare ourselves mentally for the big stages...the kids seem to be fine with it...it's just us mums that need the adjustment period. :) Oh, the other thing that kind of freaks me out is when they have morning tea (snack time/recess) all the kids go together, from 1st grade to at least 3rd or 4th grade (I'll have to ask about that one). So he'll be playing with bigger kids however I'm sure that'll be good for him, right?! (I need some reassurance here :)

We have our 2nd visit this Thursday from 9-11am and I'll let him stay by himself this time. I am sure he'll enjoy it...we've really been talking it up so he's prepared for the big change come October 11. (the start of the 4th term)

Getting back to our trip to Petone...after we went to Briscoes I took the kids to McDonald's to eat and pass some time til we caught the bus home. This was probably the nicest Mickey D's I've ever gone too...clean, modern, friendly & fast service complete with a coffee shop to put Starbucks to shame. It even had a play area which I didn't know they add so extra bonus. I ordered a Big Mac...which I haven't had in months...and it was the best hamburger ever! Fresh and not greasy...makes ya want to run out and go to the Arch's right now, aye?

Sunday we went to the village festival that was held in Calvin's new school's auditorium. It was really great with lots of people, fresh baked goods, homemade foods, jams, herbs and so much more. We ended up grabbing some cute cupcakes and playing on the big playground. Ben's program director's wife and daughter were there and they invited us over for a coffee. They are too kind. Their little girl is 7 years old and MaeMae just adores her and wanted to do whatever she did. She even tied her sweater around her waist because Isla had hers around her waist. Too cute! After our coffee, Angela drove us back home so we didn't have to take the bus! :) What a blessing to have met such awesome, friendly people.


Things we like to do while we are out and about...

Build forts on the beach.

Check out the post box at the bus stop.

Watch the boats in the harbor.


Have fun at "big" school playground at Calvin's soon-to-be new school, Muritai School.

Love sliding down the tall slide at the big playground.

Play at the beach in the sand and rocks.

Strike a pose at the beach.

Swing at the playground.

Play at Calvin's "big boy" school playground.



No comments:

Post a Comment