Monday, July 19, 2010



Getting ready for a tour of Lower Hutt! It's chilly here but not freezing...it's the wind that really bites ya. Today we ventured out to find cell phones, a bank, a grocery store and a home…the bare necessities. It’s a lot of work starting from scratch and reestablishing your life. Ben got us cell phones to use but we are still in search of a home. He did get a bank account open so I guess "we're in the money". :)

We looked in a beach village called Eastbourne today and it is absolutely gorgeous. From this point, you can see the South Island Alps. Amazing! We found 2 houses that had gorgeous views of the harbor but were located literally on the side of the cliff. So, needless to say, we are not opting for those.



Nestled in the back seat of our bright red rental car.


One of the many amazing views from Eastbourne. It is directly across from Wellington.



Our first home-cooked meal...a little bit of normalcy. Mom's homemade soup, penne pasta and salad, all fresh from the market. All the food is fresh and locally grown and the portions are much smaller than in the States. We ate out the first night we were here and I ordered a brat (because that was about the only thing I knew I would like - have to get used to the food!) and I asked what it came with. The waitress looked at me as if I were crazy b/c the entrees don't usually come with sides...just the main dish. Ok, so I miss my fries on the side! :)

Picnic on the floor!



In our hotel room one entire wall is the window. This has been Caroline's favorite hiding and playing place. (Along with the dishwashing brush.)


Bowling at "The Lanes" in Wellington, possibly the nicest bowling alley ever, complete with leather couches and all.


Mary Katherine watching her ball crawl down the lane...strike???


It’s funny…the appliances, tv, electricity are all so different here.

In the hotel room, you have to use your room key card (and you have a 'real' room key) to turn on the electricity in the room. When one of the kids takes the card out of the electricity thingy, it’s lights out. A great way to save energy.


The appliances have little pictures on them to “help” you operate them. I mean I think I need to have a handbook to turn the oven on in our room. It’s so different but I did manage to turn the stovetop on and cook some eggs for breakfast. I tried to cook a pizza and that turned out a little crispy...I think it's a convection oven or something.

The room has an espresso maker and a hot water pot along with a coffee press. Um, how do you work a coffee press, let alone the espresso machine. I feel so uncivilized not knowing how to work these things but I guess I’ll learn. If I want caffeine I will have to!

The washer and dryer is the same way. 1st it’s a 2-in-1 machine with the same little icons to "help" you figure out how to operate it. Luckily, they do have a diagram for dummies so I've been able to wash clothes.


We are making progress in getting settled and really enjoying our time together as a family. It's been way to long that we have had good quality time with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment