Days Bay
We took our first trip to the beach yesterday...Days Bay. It's only 2 bays down from our bay, York Bay. Beautiful! You can see the South Island from this bay and it's absolutely stunning. The kids also loved seeing a different sort of beach. The beach here isn't like ours back home. The sand isn't "sandy" it's more, um, black I guess you can say. At this bay there is actually sand so the kids were so excited to dig and play in it. The shells are just so pretty as well. Beautiful mussel shells line the beach as well as gorgeous pristine white shells among the bits and pieces of rock and miscellaneous shells.
At Days Bay there is a long pier (unrailed I might add so quite nerve-wracking with the 3 roamers) where a ferry docks throughout the day to take you to downtown Wellington and the island in the middle of the harbor. (This small island has reallly intrigued me since we don't know what's on it and we are dying to go to it to explore it.) Also, we saw some fishermen with great big fishing rods that the kids were begging to "help" with. They can't seem to grasp the idea that all their belongings are in the states. It's sort of sad but also I think it's great for them to live more simply.
You can also catch the bus at Days Bay and take it pretty much anywhere around town. They say the bus system is great. I'm glad to hear that because that will be how the kids and I will be getting around when Ben is at work during the day. Also, it's only a few bays down from Eastbourne where all the "action" is so that will be a source of entertainment. The post, grocery, library and such are in the village.
The unrailed end of the pier. We didn't lose any! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment