Our day began with carpooling to school. Ben went in late to work, which is very unusual for him. He has been sick all week with a flu-like illness and is trying to recover from it. It was convenient because I was able to leave the girls home with him while I picked up Amelia and drove the older kids to school. It is so much easier doing the school run when you have less seats to buckle and fewer hands to hold. :) I hurried home to pick up Mary Katherine and Caroline for Fridays is Pop in and Play day at St. Albans Church. Such a nice morning of tea and wonderful activities for the kids, all put on by the local church, for a gold coin donation ($3). While enjoying PiaP, our first random event occurred. There is a lovely pianist who provides classic children's tunes for the kids to enjoy playing and while she was playing, she fell on the floor with a seizure. It was a scary few moments but she must obviously be used to her condition, for she composed herself, had some tea and began playing again. Bless her heart, she just kept right on playing til the end of the session.
From PiaP we picked up Lily-Jean and the 4 of us went over to the library (our usual daily visit) then headed home to eat quickly before afternoon kindie. At 1:20pm off we went to kindie but as we got closer to Days Bay I noticed there was a police check. I quickly became nervous because I left my purse and license at home, so I, nonchalantly, turned and drove up the hill, turned around and headed back home to gather my legal documents. I was still nervous going back with all sorts of ideas running through my head. I got to the police check and rolled down my window and was relieved to hear "Just conducting compulsory breath tests. Say your name and address into this machine." I managed to state my info, not without fumbling over my words, nervousness I guess and the policeman showed me a "No Alcohol" reading. Shewww....glad I only had one drink with my lunch. Just kidding! I guess they do manage to catch some lunchers who celebrate happy hour early on Fridays, but this car-pooling mama wasn't one of them.
Ok, so last random act...note to self: Always be sure to teach children what to say when they answer the phone or answer the door, as in this case. I asked Tanya to grab a bottle of milk for us but when I left her house, I forgot to grab it. So, I was going to just pick it up the next day but because they are so sweet...we had just finished dinner and I had to skip to my loo when there was a knock on the door. Let me back up one moment and state that our bathroom is in plain view of the front door unless the sliding door is shut. I've gotten into the habit of closing the door while occupying el bano and thankfully I had done the same this day. Steve came round to drop off the milk and I hear "hello...just dropping the milk off...ok, um, see you later!" Calvin had answered the door and said something to him. Nervously, I re-entered the kitchen and quickly asked Calvin what he said to Mr. Steve...to my relief, he said "mom's in the bathroom" and not any specifics. He did well. :)
It was such an interesting day, to say the least. We made it through the first week of the 4th term and all is well!
No comments:
Post a Comment